1750’s – New London Church (Established Church of England) built by pioneers on land from Col. William Callaway’s 900-acre land grand from King George III; this building and the land on which it stood were later part of New London Academy. As of 1950, only a depression in the ground.
1762, January 28 – Date of Deed to Rev. John Brander of Russell Parish, and his successors, by Benjamin Arnold of Buckingham County, paid for by Church Wardens, 496 acres of land in Bedford County, for the use of the Parish. Called “The Glebe.” Rev. John White Holt was the last colonial Episcopal minister in the area and continued to live on the lands even after the Church was disestablished. (New London Church)
1773-1776? – Rev. John Brander minister of Russel Parish (including New London Church).
1786 – Thomas Jefferson’s “Bill for Establishing Religious Freedom” made Virginia law, disestablishing state support for the Anglican/Episcopal Church. At some point after this, “The Glebe” was sold. The Presbyterians and the Episcopalians both used New London Church.
1815 – Both Episcopalians and Presbyterians donated funds to raise a new brick “Meeting House” at New London Academy (New London Church). Led by Mr. Henry Brown, president of the New London Academy Board of Trustees.
1820 – Salem Turnpike first macadamized with flint rock. Salem Turnpike cut off a 20-foot strip of New London Academy land donated by Alexander and Reid. Also cut off a 20-foot strip in front of New London Church, bringing the church much closer to the road. (or are these the same thing?)
1823 – Rev. Amos Treadway came from Lynchburg (then in Campbell County) but also worked in New London, Bedford County (New London Church).
1825 – Rev. Nicholas Cobbs the first regular representative of Russell parish at the New London Church (Episcopal).
1827 – Mr. Henry Brown again leads fundraising for the repair of the Church at New London Academy
1850’s – Crack appeared in the north wall of the New London Church (at the Academy).
1854-1855 – New London Church (at the Academy) declared unsafe and condemned. The building and land were given to the Presbyterians who sold the bricks to the Masons (who built Prudence Lodge 44 across the turnpike on the half acre of land donated by Mr. and Mrs. William Lee). The Episcopalians built St. Stephens, west of Forest.
1855-1856 – Presbyterians built a frame church across the road from New London Academy on an acre of land donated by Mr. and Mrs. William Lee.
1877 – William A. Read built an 8-room frame house on the property once called “The Glebe,” and continued to call it that. Later (20th century?) Mr. Granville M. Read remodeled the house and called it “Read-Moor.”
1888 – The congregation of the New London Church (at the Academy, more than a mile from New London) was made a separate organization from those worshipping in Spring Hill and Pisgah (Pisgah was also made its own organization.) Those worshipping at Ivy Creek were recommended to join organization with one of the above groups. The New London Church became known as the Academy Church.
1950 – New London Church building (at the Academy) only a depression in the ground.